Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Enthusiasm

A note from peter@thewealthyattitude.com for Wednesday may 21 2008

Welcome to the midweek point.

Boy, are we having some fun with the whole “enthusiasm” theme.

Here at this desk, we get tons of calls every day. With this week’s theme, we are assessing every call on a scale of 1 to 10 for “enthusiasm”. I have to say that it’s been quite an eye opener.

From service folks, friends, teammates, and telemarketers, it’s really interesting who gets our attention. I’m aware it’s also a two street. If we answer the phone with “enthusiasm”, we get a higher level of response. It confirms the old adage, “you get back what you put out”.

Our buddy David puts out an offering today that touches on the point.

Enthusiasm
by David DeFord

In my small Indiana hometown basketball was king. If you have seen the movie “Hoosiers”, you can begin to understand the importance of high school basketball in rural Indiana.

While in grade school, my friends and I dreamed of the day that we could don our school colors and go to battle for truth and our mothers. During recess we always played basketball. On hot summer days, when our friends were playing in the creek or fishing, we could be found on "the slab" doing battle. Sometimes we literally did battle.

We played on grade school, junior high and freshman teams. We even played for the Boys Club on weekends--always dreaming of our shot at the high school team. Even though we hated cross country, we joined the team every year for the strength and conditioning program. We also organized games against the kids in nearby towns, just for the fresh competition.

Finally our junior year came. As usual, we joined the cross country team and we were in top shape by the beginning of basketball season. As practices began, forty-some kids vied for the twelve spots on the varsity team. After a few practices I realized that I wasn't as gifted as many of the other players trying out for the team. I knew in my heart that if I didn't do something special, I wouldn't realize my long-held dream. But what talent did I have that would set me apart from the others?

Enthusiasm!

Even though my athletic ability did not separate me from the rest, I practiced good fundamentals and played consistently. I became the kid who yelled the loudest for the other players. I congratulated good plays, offered sincere encouragement to those who were struggling and I played very enthusiastically.

When the coach posted the names of those who made the varsity team, my name was listed! Unfortunately none of my friends, who had worked so hard for so long, were listed. While I was saddened for my friends, I had realized my dream.

Though I reached my goal, the most important part of this story is what I learned about life--enthusiasm can compensate for other weaknesses. Everyone likes to be around an enthusiast. Life and its challenges can be joyful when approached enthusiastically.

Henry Ford said: “You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. The have fortitude.”

"They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis."

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: